In May of this year, Pixar animator Austin Madison kindly hand-wrote the following open letter to aspiring artists, in a bid to inspire them through times of creative drought. It’s a lovely, eloquent letter, and in fact contains advice valuable to people in many a creative field. It was written as a contribution to the Animator Letters Project.
May 17, 2011
To Whom it May Inspire,
I, like many of you artists out there, constantly shift between two states. The first (and far more preferable of the two) is white-hot, “in the zone” seat-of-the-pants, firing on all cylinders creative mode. This is when you lay your pen down and the ideas pour out like wine from a royal chalice! This happens about 3% of the time.
The other 97% of the time I am in the frustrated, struggling, office-corner-full-of-crumpled-up-paper mode. The important thing is to slog diligently through this quagmire of discouragement and despair. Put on some audio commentary and listen to the stories of professionals who have been making films for decades going through the same slings and arrows of outrageous production problems.
In a word: PERSIST.
PERSIST on telling your story. PERSIST on reaching your audience. PERSIST on staying true to your vision. Remember what Peter Jackson said, “Pain is temporary. Film is forever.” And he of all people should know.
So next time you hit writer’s block, or your computer crashes and you lose an entire night’s work because you didn’t hit save (always hit save), just remember: you’re never far from that next burst of divine creativity. Work through that 97% of murky abyssmal mediocrity to get to that 3% which everyone will remember you for!
I guarantee you, the art will be well worth the work!
Your friend and mine,
“ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE!”
Because all of my friends in the arts need to read this.
- clerdyness reblogged this from all-of-ma-feels
- pepplup reblogged this from dismeied
- lostinminecraftia likes this
- presentparticiple reblogged this from amberleighart
- crayonhomicide likes this
- shinox likes this
- airred likes this
- raezing reblogged this from okamikyru
- kiinopia reblogged this from kinopia
- lookingfortriffids likes this
- the-agreeable-snowman reblogged this from brain-food
- aladynamedsam reblogged this from activeprotagonist
- nightjunkie likes this
- isseldeleon likes this
- reeasel reblogged this from technologicme
- gamergirl84 likes this
- mthkl89 reblogged this from vivlin
- willtwerkforcheetos likes this
- lotsostrawberries likes this
- dismeied likes this
- dismeied reblogged this from brain-food
- ottery likes this
- calledieu reblogged this from brain-food
- finlandic likes this
- kiokari likes this
- mirthalia likes this
- spagglemutt likes this
- chiarascurocostumes likes this
- lyndez likes this
- badhawaiian-shirts likes this
- itiscallie likes this
- admiraltatianawolverines reblogged this from inspectorgesicht
- inspectorgesicht reblogged this from lazysmirk
- rocktheraptor likes this
- pharotekton likes this
- cindertoffee reblogged this from lazysmirk
- acidgraffiti likes this
- sarsler likes this
- lazysmirk reblogged this from colourbomb
- astm-d-4236 reblogged this from surfdog2000
- simplicem likes this
- w6apav72 reblogged this from brain-food
- half-hnau likes this
- sailorbaka-chan reblogged this from spectrazilla
- varthandi reblogged this from spectrazilla
- varthandi likes this
- lapjeskat1654 reblogged this from kingbeth
- kingbeth reblogged this from spectrazilla
- boogerblr likes this