In May of this year, Pixar animator Austin Madison kindly hand-wrote the following open letter to aspiring artists, in a bid to inspire them through times of creative drought. It’s a lovely, eloquent letter, and in fact contains advice valuable to people in many a creative field. It was written as a contribution to the Animator Letters Project.
May 17, 2011
To Whom it May Inspire,
I, like many of you artists out there, constantly shift between two states. The first (and far more preferable of the two) is white-hot, “in the zone” seat-of-the-pants, firing on all cylinders creative mode. This is when you lay your pen down and the ideas pour out like wine from a royal chalice! This happens about 3% of the time.
The other 97% of the time I am in the frustrated, struggling, office-corner-full-of-crumpled-up-paper mode. The important thing is to slog diligently through this quagmire of discouragement and despair. Put on some audio commentary and listen to the stories of professionals who have been making films for decades going through the same slings and arrows of outrageous production problems.
In a word: PERSIST.
PERSIST on telling your story. PERSIST on reaching your audience. PERSIST on staying true to your vision. Remember what Peter Jackson said, “Pain is temporary. Film is forever.” And he of all people should know.
So next time you hit writer’s block, or your computer crashes and you lose an entire night’s work because you didn’t hit save (always hit save), just remember: you’re never far from that next burst of divine creativity. Work through that 97% of murky abyssmal mediocrity to get to that 3% which everyone will remember you for!
I guarantee you, the art will be well worth the work!
Your friend and mine,
"ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE!"
Because all of my friends in the arts need to read this.
- kimster811 reblogged this from artist-refs
- niamuhammad likes this
- eemajinx reblogged this from swrd-play
- armonah likes this
- spectramancy reblogged this from the-green-eyed-kelpie and added:
- junkporn reblogged this from dream-hearse
- the-green-eyed-kelpie reblogged this from swrd-play
- kantakun likes this
- out-like-lightning likes this
- skyrimandshat likes this
- meeerberr likes this
- dream-hearse reblogged this from swrd-play
- swrd-play reblogged this from technologicme
- swrd-play likes this
- pandasnot likes this
- keyka-chan likes this
- keyka-chan reblogged this from artist-refs
- bleu-et-vert likes this
- rossy-ross likes this
- cartoonstyle reblogged this from artist-refs
- an-isolated-nexus reblogged this from artist-refs
- rollerskatingtardis likes this
- rollerskatingtardis reblogged this from lampshroomomg
- lampshroomomg reblogged this from artist-refs
- hetero-unicorn reblogged this from the-fast-and-the-fluffiest
- rosesuponroses reblogged this from artist-refs
- -catchercaught- likes this
- nguyen-hoang-huy reblogged this from liraaaa
- joshuaotero likes this
- heypigeon likes this
- februarywhite reblogged this from artist-refs
- infiniterestarts likes this
- buttercryvision reblogged this from artist-refs
- buttercryvision likes this
- kaylinlong reblogged this from orbem
- sweetie-pi likes this
- mercibarcelona likes this
- advantage-jeremy reblogged this from liraaaa
- advantage-jeremy likes this
- normanmorana likes this
- whileyourwaiting likes this
- paybysea reblogged this from blueskyspeculation
- thisisit-kls likes this
- blueskyspeculation reblogged this from liraaaa
- drfrutas likes this
- liraaaa reblogged this from brain-food
- celestialavee likes this
- ninken reblogged this from artist-refs
- fateful-wings reblogged this from artist-refs