In May of this year, Pixar animator Austin Madison kindly hand-wrote the following open letter to aspiring artists, in a bid to inspire them through times of creative drought. It’s a lovely, eloquent letter, and in fact contains advice valuable to people in many a creative field. It was written as a contribution to the Animator Letters Project.
May 17, 2011
To Whom it May Inspire,
I, like many of you artists out there, constantly shift between two states. The first (and far more preferable of the two) is white-hot, “in the zone” seat-of-the-pants, firing on all cylinders creative mode. This is when you lay your pen down and the ideas pour out like wine from a royal chalice! This happens about 3% of the time.
The other 97% of the time I am in the frustrated, struggling, office-corner-full-of-crumpled-up-paper mode. The important thing is to slog diligently through this quagmire of discouragement and despair. Put on some audio commentary and listen to the stories of professionals who have been making films for decades going through the same slings and arrows of outrageous production problems.
In a word: PERSIST.
PERSIST on telling your story. PERSIST on reaching your audience. PERSIST on staying true to your vision. Remember what Peter Jackson said, “Pain is temporary. Film is forever.” And he of all people should know.
So next time you hit writer’s block, or your computer crashes and you lose an entire night’s work because you didn’t hit save (always hit save), just remember: you’re never far from that next burst of divine creativity. Work through that 97% of murky abyssmal mediocrity to get to that 3% which everyone will remember you for!
I guarantee you, the art will be well worth the work!
Your friend and mine,
"ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE!"
Because all of my friends in the arts need to read this.
- bigtpotts likes this
- twilightwings likes this
- xyz-2 likes this
- imgonnamakeyousquart reblogged this from nannaia
- imgonnamakeyousquart likes this
- tomayyto likes this
- almaasi likes this
- littledeathrobot reblogged this from artist-refs
- skyycutter likes this
- lameilleuremoitie reblogged this from brain-food
- somepeculiarities likes this
- mylikevault reblogged this from ohhicas
- cartoonover reblogged this from xxreiofsunshinexx
- ladyfrekles likes this
- picnicblanketmedley reblogged this from pettyartist
- picnicblanketmedley likes this
- ballyboombaa reblogged this from adrianalikestea
- kafel88 likes this
- shemovesinmurderousways likes this
- gracemarish likes this
- obmgeth likes this
- clchaerinlee reblogged this from tati-sketches
- aurora-borealiss likes this
- mikk1o5 likes this
- queen-ymir reblogged this from tati-sketches
- queen-ymir likes this
- attack-on-titanosaurs likes this
- alexanderdavidt reblogged this from tati-sketches
- aellae reblogged this from flameoflamehead
- flameoflamehead reblogged this from tati-sketches
- tati-sketches reblogged this from avatati
- thedcmonster reblogged this from tachasart
- thedcmonster likes this
- ssc021796 reblogged this from tachasart
- wwazowski likes this
- tachasart reblogged this from tachasart and added:
- insomniacwordsmith reblogged this from the-agreeable-snowman
- the-agreeable-snowman reblogged this from brain-food
- tonystarksbutt likes this
- thrashingcoyotestudios likes this
- loc-storage reblogged this from luxuryofconviction
- schereereblogs reblogged this from scheree
- marlanekozawa reblogged this from nannaia
- marlanekozawa likes this
- nutellashoes reblogged this from everthehero
- candyelephants likes this
- thingsstingshouldsing reblogged this from thejeniverse